Royal Pingdom decided to take on the overwhelming task of discovering what went on online in 2012.
With figures compiled for internet users, emails, browsers, social media, domain names and more, they went to “the end of the web and back again” to provide us internet users, wherever we may be, with some interesting facts and figures about the very world we explore every day.
Below is just some of what they found. For the full post go to Internet 2012 in Numbers.Â
- 2.2 billion â€“ Number of email users worldwide.
- 144 billion â€“ Total email traffic per day worldwide.
- 4.3 billion â€“ Number of email clients worldwide in 2012.
- 35.6% â€“ Usage share of the most popular email client, which was Mail for iOS.
- 68.8% â€“ Percentage of all email traffic that was spam.
- 2.4 billion â€“ Number of Internet users worldwide.
- 1.1 billion â€“ Number of Internet users in Asia.
- 519 million â€“ Number of Internet users in Europe.
- 274 million â€“ Number of Internet users in North America.
- 255 million â€“ Number of Internet users in Latin America / Caribbean.
- 167 million â€“ Number of Internet users in Africa.
- 90 million â€“ Number of Internet users in the Middle East.
- 24.3 million â€“ Number of Internet users in Oceania / Australia.
- 565 million â€“ Number of Internet users in China, more than any other country in the world.
- 85,962 â€“ Number of monthly posts per Facebook Page in Brazil, the most active country on Facebook.
- 1 billion â€“ Number of monthly active users on Facebook, passed in October.
- 40.5 years â€“ Average age of a Facebook user.
- 200 million â€“ Monthly active users on Twitter, passed in December.
- 327,452 â€“ Number of tweets per minute when Barack Obama was re-elected, the most ever.
- 9.66 million â€“ Number of tweets during the opening ceremony of the London 2012 olympics.
- 175 million â€“ Average number of tweets sent every day throughout 2012.
- 37.3 years â€“ Average age of a Twitter user.
- 187 million â€“ Number of members on LinkedIn (September).
- 44.2 years â€“ Average age of a Linkedin user.
- 1.2 trillion â€“ Number of searches on Google in 2012.
- 67% â€“ Googleâ€™s market-leading share of the U.S. search market (December).
- 1 â€“ The top trending question of the year on Ask.com: â€œWill Rob and Kristen get back together?â€
- 1.1 billion â€“ Number of global smartphone subscribers.
- 5.3 billion â€“ Number of mobile handsets.
- 1.3 billion â€“ Number of smartphones in use worldwide by end of 2012.
- 465 million â€“ Number of Android smartphones sold in 2012, a 66% market share.
- 13% â€“ Mobile share of global Internet traffic.