Cell C has announced a series of sweeping price hikes across its prepaid and contract offerings, which will take place from the 1st of February.
If you were hoping for a reprieve from the financial assault January brings, we’ve got some unfortunate news: Cell C has announced its plans to launch a series of price hikes across its prepaid and contract offerings.
The changes, which will come into effect from the 1st of February 2017, will see out-of-bundle rates raised for both data and call packages on prepaid offerings, while voice contracts will also see their prices raised.
The network further confirmed that the WhatsApp benefit on Trace Mobile would cease from the 1st of February, while Nite Data allocation would be removed from SmartData TopUp contracts which were activated from the 1st of February onwards.
The network clarified that “Customers who are currently in contract, or activated before 1 February 2017, will continue to receive their Nite Data allocation until the end of their contract term.”
In a statement to customers, Cell C outlined that it has the option of varying any of its charges in terms of individual subscriber agreements and the Consumer Protection Act.
Prepaid contracts would see increased out-of-bundle charges for both data and calls, save for customers on the 66c package. Per MB, consumers can now expect to pay:
- 66c: R1.10 per MB, down from R2.00
- MegaBonus:Â R1.10 per MB, up from R1.00
- SUPACHARGE: Sharks Mobile, Trace Mobile, Bhansela Data, AVBOB:Â R1.10 per MB, up from R0.99c
- EasyChat: R1.10 per MB, up from R0.79c.
- SUPACHARGE: R1.10 per minute, up from R0.99c.
Monthly Subscription Fee
- StraightUp 30 / StraightUp 30 TopUp: R40, up from R35
- StraightUp 30 / StraightUp 30 TopUp: R60, up from R55
- StraightUp 100 / StraightUp 100 TopUp: R120, up from R110
- StraightUp 200 / StraightUp 200 TopUp: R240, up from R220
- StraightUp 400 / StraightUp 400 TopUp: R485, up from R440
- StraightUp 800 / StraightUp 800: R950, up from R880
- Hi 5: R180, up from R165
- ChatMore 200: R179, up from R159
- ChatMore 400: R240, up from R220
- SmartChat 1GB / SmartChat 1GB TopUp: R110, up from R99
- SmartChat 2GB / SmartChat 2GB TopUp: R220, up from R199
- SmartChat 3GB / SmartChat 3GB TopUp: R270, up from R249
- SmartChat 6GB / SmartChat 6GB TopUp: R490, up from R449
- SmartChat 8GB / SmartChat 8GB TopUp: R650, up from R599
- CasualChat Anytime: R145, up from R130
- CasualChat 100: R125, up from R115
- Casual SMS: R125, up from R115
- ActiveChat Standard: R165, up from R150
- ActiveChat 110: R275, up from R250
- ActiveChat 220: R440, up from R399
- All Week 100: R110, up from R100
- BusinessChat: R715, up from R650
- BusinessChat: R1200, up from R1100
- BusinessChat: R1650, up from R1500
- BlackBerry All Week 100: R220, up from R199
- BlackBerry CasualChat 100: R150, up from R139
Calls out-out-of-bundle (rate per minute)
- All StraightUp and StraightUp TopUp: R1.25, up from R1.05
- Hi5:Â R1.25, up from R1.05
- Chatmore 200 & 400: R 1.65, up from R1.50
- All SmartChat and SmartChat TopUp: R150.00, up from R139.00
Data out-of-pundle (rate per MB)
- Smartchat Postpaid: R0.99, up from R0.79
- All SmartChat TopUp: R1.10, up from R0.79
- All StraightUp TopUp: R1.10, up from R0.99
- 25MB: R10, up from R8
- 50MB: R16, Â up from R13
- 100MB: R29, up from R25
- 300MB: R65, up from R60.79
- 500MB: R99, up from R90
- 20MB: R12, up from R11
Daily Data Bundle:Â
- 20MB: R4, up from R3
- 50MB: R8.50, Â up from R7
- 100MB: R14, up from R13
- WhatsApp Bundle: R12, up from R7.50
Prepaid Broadband Once-off Allocation products (once-off):
- 100GB (valid one year): R1499, up from R999
- 200GB (valid one year): Â R1999, up from R1599
Prepaid Broadband Monthly Allocation products (once-off)
- 1.2GB (100MB every 30 days x 12 months) R99, up from R89
- 2.4GB (200MB every 30 days x 12 months) R159, up from R79
- SmartData 500MB (incl. TopUp): R45, up from R39
- SmartData 1GB (incl. TopUp): R75, up from R69
- SmartData 10GB (incl. TopUp): R299, down from R349
Data Out Of Bundle (Rate per MB)
- All SmartData TopUp plans: R1.10, up from R0.99
Have your say!
What are your thoughts on Cell C’s price hikes? We want to know – be sure to leave your comments below!
Source: Cell C